I came across this lovely family of fonts recently that I thought I would make some use of, as it is being offered free, even for commercial use: https://befonts.com/playlist-script-font.html
Now as you can see, there are a few fonts included, all under the one family set. I thought this was brilliant – a bundle of gorgeous fonts that work well together. That was – until I tried installing the family of fonts and discovered that my computer (running Windows 10) only recognised the first font of the family.
What is a girl to do? Well, I researched the issue and came up with a solution. I thought I would share this on my blog, as this appears to be a common issue faced out there in the computing/graphics design community – how do you get computer applications to recognise the family of fonts as individual fonts?
Well – you separate them lol Here’s a quick step-by-step rundown of what I did to separate the fonts so they no longer were named the same and relying on the “font-style” attribute to differentiate them (as my applications were not recognising them!)
- You’ll find in the downloaded zip bundle your family of *.otf files. Extract those into a new folder. (In the case of Playlist, there will be 3).
- Head over to http://www.glyphrstudio.com/online/ and choose Load option to load a file. Click “Browse for a file” and locate one of the fonts you just extracted in step 1.
- After it has imported, click on the top-left menu button (the one with the 3 horizontal stripes). Choose Font Settings.
- Under Font Name, choose a new font for it (for example, PlaylistOrnament). Scroll down to the Font Metadata section, and for font-style, change to “regular”.
- Back to the left-hand menu, click “export font”. I choose to “Export OTF Font” and save it locally.
- As you normally would, right-click on the *.otf file to install.
Now I am not sure whether it was the “regular” font-style that caused the issue, or if it was simply because they were named the same. I figured I would change both attributes as a guarantee that the system/applications would be sorted in one go, rather than messing around. And thankfully – it worked ^_^